The Technical School Centre of Maribor was established by the Foundation Act of 29 September 2009, which was implemented by the Government of the Republic of Slovenia, yet the school centre itself began to operate on 31 December 2009, when the institution was entered in the register of companies/commercial register/register of companies.
The School Centre of Maribor consists of the following organisational units:
1. Secondary School of Mechanical Engineering with an adjoining student dormitory. The Secondary School of Mechanical Engineering, which takes on approximately 650 students every year, offers four programmes comprising:
- Two-year lower vocational course for: an assistant in technological processes
- Three-year secondary vocational courses for: a car mechanic, a car body maker, a heating and air conditioning installer, a plumber, a toolmaker (all with the possibility of enrolling on a vocational-technical programme)
- Two-year vocational-technical education course for: mechanical engineering technicians and auto-service technicians
- Four-year technical courses for: mechanical engineering technicians and mechatronics technicians (the primary goal here is to provide students with appropriate knowledge and skills for them to be able to complete their baccalaureate, referred to in Slovenia as “Matura”)..
2. Vocational college, which offers two study programmes for the students to obtain higher professional education:
- Mechanical engineering
- Automotive service management
3. Inter-Company Education and Training Centre comprising the school workshops and laboratories.
At our new location, in the Tezno District Community we offer our students as well as teachers good working conditions, since the merge of the Secondary School of Mechanical Engineering of Maribor, and the Secondary School of Mechanical Engineering and Business Administration of Maribor, as well as of the Tezno Student Dormitory has had as its result the foundation of a modern, up-to-date technical educational centre offering educational courses for young students, as well as adult learners. Thus the new Technical School centre of Maribor continues and combines the rich tradition of the two former schools. With its technically-oriented educational programs the school centre meets the needs of the local industry and crafts. It constantly reacts to the needs of the industry and crafts and is closely linked with the economy, i. e. with companies and firms within its broader surroundings. It is a vocational and technical secondary school which prepares pupils for career entry as well as college. Our school provides unique and exciting learning opportunities and one of our special advantages are partnerships with tradesmen and different companies.
The Technical School Centre of Maribor has a stimulating environment that fosters transformational education and personal growth in modern classrooms, labs and workshops which are on par with modern industry standards. With modern technology at its core, the Technical School Centre of Maribor serves as a vibrant intellectual arena for the teachers and the students to explore and embrace the ideas, technology and instructional methods that will shape the future.
It is the mission of the Technical School Centre of Maribor to provide its students with the best vocational and academic education. We offer students a solid preparation for college, and training for employment in automotive trades, pre-engineering, or other technical fields.
Always striving for excellence, we are aware of the fact that there is still a lot to be done in order to be constantly able to comply with the highest standards and assure the quality of our educational programs in the future. First of all, we need to carry out the planned investment aimed at finishing the long-awaited overhaul of the energy supply system, as well as at the modernisation of the equipment.
We want to achieve our goals in the following ways:
- By continuing the educational process featuring the educational programs for young and adult learners, as well as by the means of actualisation and modernisation of the educational programs and their modification according to the actual needs of companies and industry in general.
- By ascertaining the needs for new educational programs in order to develop new educational programs for the industry.
- By constant development of new educational programs for young, as well as for adult learners.
- By accommodating quickly to all possible kinds of changes in the needs of the industry for workers in certain specialty occupations.
- By increasing the role of our school in all spheres of cooperation with the local industries.
- By intensifying the cooperation with the industries.
- By the means of cooperation with other educational institutions in the form of various projects.
- By presenting the public with the educational possibilities offered by our institution for young and adult learners.
- By bring the quality of educational work at our school to a higher level.
- By assuring job satisfaction among our teaching and technical staff.
The fulfilment of the goals indicated above will only be possible in cooperation with the local environment, with legislative bodies and counselling agencies, as well as by constant modernisation and procurement of new educational equipment, which in turn will enable us to fulfil our goals at a high enough level. Our institutional objective is to provide oriented training programs to help the student develop the quality job skills needed for success in career areas offering long-range opportunities. Our programs are designed to put the student in the job market as quickly as possible consistent with the amount of training needed to gain employment. We provide hands-on, practical (learn-by-doing), training in fields where there is a demand for qualified entry-level employees.
The basic precondition for achieving the desired results are satisfied, highly qualified teachers and other technical workers, working in cooperation, who will always contribute to qualitative growth and in turn have enough opportunities for improving confidence, credibility and assertiveness at work, as well as opportunities for their personal and professional progress.
Darko Kukovec, uni.dipl.ing.