Field of employment
The car mechanic is trained to maintain motor vehicles and internal combustion engines. The focus of the work is on systematic fault finding on mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, electrical and electronic motor vehicle systems, repair of assemblies, adjustment of basic values, control and assessment of the function and condition of the motor vehicle. He or she must have a sense of organization of work and communication with clients. He or she uses diagnostic devices at work, so he or she must keep up with technological developments.
A car mechanic can be employed as:
- a repairer of passenger and goods vehicles and means of transport,
- a commercial and purchasing clerk, sales consultant,
- a car damage assessor,
- a professional driver,
- a sales agent or manager,
- a car dealer
- a technical equipment dealer…
But he or she can also become a sole proprietor, opening up even more chances for success in life.
Aims of the educational program
In addition to the general goals of education, the program enables students to::
- master the basics of computer science and informatics so that they can use user programs independently,
- understand the principles of ecology and the impact of the manufacture, use, maintenance or disposal of machines, appliances and their assemblies, products, etc. to the environment,
- be trained in the proper handling of machinery and equipment, the storage and disposal of environmentally harmful substances, and become familiar with measures and procedures to reduce adverse environmental effects,
- know how to plan and prepare a workflow, monitor it and evaluate the results of the workflow
- be able to read workshop drawings, component and schematic drawings, especially wiring diagrams of electrical, electronic, pneumatic and hydraulic systems,
- be trained in the assessment of the wear and tear and usefulness of individual parts, taking into account optimal performance and load, and are able to advise whether preventive repair is recommended,
- gain professional knowledge of measurement and control procedures and the use of measuring (including computer-controlled) and control devices, tools and machines,
- get to know the components, assemblies, devices, systems of motor vehicles and vehicles and internal combustion engines, their technical solutions (designs), function, materials for production and principles of operation,
- learn the mechanics and techniques of motor vehicles and vehicles,
- acquire basic knowledge of pneumatics and hydraulics and the construction, function, maintenance and connection of hydraulic and pneumatic assemblies and devices,
- acquire basic knowledge of electrical engineering and electronics and the construction, function, maintenance and connection of electrical and electronic assemblies and devices,
- master the diagnosis, adjustment, maintenance and repair of components, assemblies, devices and systems in motor vehicles and rolling stock, and internal combustion engines,
- gain knowledge of inland transport and transportation and maintenance of workshop facilities.
Upon completion of education, the student will:
- be responsible, tolerant, humane and capable of living in a democratic society,
- be trained and prepared for teamwork and participation in project work,
- have a foundation for the development of a personal organizational culture in the workplace and work environment,
- be able to seek rational and professional solutions in the implementation of activities in the work environment,
- be focused on lifelong learning and training,
- be trained in the application of knowledge and skills in new situations,
- expand general education and develop key competences for successful participation in society, personal development and further education in accordance with national standards of key qualifications.
Duration of education
The best possible academic achievement from primary school, interest in the profession and technology in general, precision, diligence and orderliness, a good sense of the dimensions in the space (good sense of spatial proportions), a willingness to learn.
Implementation of the educational program
The educational program is carried out at school and at employers’ premises with a collective or individual learning contract.
Conditions for promotion
Students who are positive at the end of the school year in all general education subjects and professional modules of the year of the school curriculum, and who complete all compulsory extracurricular activities and all obligations related to practical work training, may be promoted to a higher year or progress on the basis of the consent or decision of the assembly of the teachers teaching in this educational program.
Conditions for completion
In order to complete his or her education and obtain his or her education, the student must successfully pass the knowledge tests in the following areas:
- general education subjects,
- compulsory professional modules,
- optional professional modules,
- the so-called open part of the curriculum
In addition, he or she must successfully fulfill his or her obligations in the following areas:
- extracurricular activities,
- obligations related to practical training on the job,
- final exam.
- written and oral exam in Slovene,
- production of a practically useful product or service and presentation of activities related to the creation of the very product.
After passing the final exam, car mechanics can continue their education according to the secondary vocational program, eg. a mechanical technician (two years) and pass a vocational matura, which enables them to continue their education at a college or university. Students will be able to enroll in university study programs, which, as part of their professional graduation, will pass the examination in a fifth subject, determined by individual faculties to which they wish to enroll. In their profession, they can at all stages receive additional training for special jobs, and a professional-technical program for auto-repair technicians is also being prepared.